Looking for ways to make Thanksgiving a little more fun for the kids? Try creating your own Florida “Veg-a-Bird” with a melon, bamboo skewers, toothpicks, and your favorite fruits, veggies and cheese. This would make a great appetizer for your Thanksgiving meal!
Fresh from Florida Veg-a-Bird
- 1 large honeydew melon or Florida cantaloupe
- 1 small Florida yellow squash
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1 medium Florida yellow pepper
- 1 medium Florida red pepper
- 1 medium Florida green pepper, cut into squares
- 1 cup Florida cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 pint Florida grape tomatoes
- 8 pieces Florida carrots, cubed and slit 3 times at one end (This step should be completed by an adult or left out entirely)
- 2 whole cranberries
- Bamboo skewers
- To keep the melon from rolling, cut a shallow slice off the rind to form a flat base.
- Attach the squash, large portion pointing up, to the melon with part of a bamboo skewer.
- Cut a square of green pepper in diagonally in half, forming two triangles. Cut a thin slice of red pepper for the wattle. Attach both using a toothpick to the squash.
- Attach two cranberries, one for each eye, using toothpicks.
- Cut red pepper into six strips for the feet and set into place.
- Alternate tomatoes, cheese, green pepper and cucumber on skewers to use as tail feathers. Top 8 pieces with slit carrots cubes. Insert skewers into the back of the melon.
- Slice 4 red pepper pieces and 5 yellow pepper pieces into ½-inch slices to use as side feathers. Stick the pepper slices in place with toothpicks.