- 1 large Florida eggplant, about 2 pounds
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (may substitute 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning for above two ingredients)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Fry on both sides in skillet in hot oil until browned.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices in a shallow baking dish; cover with some tomato sauce, a sprinkling of basil and garlic powder, and a little Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes
Yield 4 servings
Return to Main Dishes