- 4 to 8 cups assorted Florida vegetables, chopped (corn, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc…)
- 1 cup low-fat cheese, shredded
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ tbs corn starch
- 4 servings boxed pancake mix of choice (follow directions on box, may require other ingredients)
- 1 tbs of your favorite dried herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly coat a large casserole dish (9×13) with cooking spray
- In a saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil
- Add chopped vegetables to the boiling vegetable broth and cook for about two minutes or until crisp-tender
- Drain veggies, reserving broth, and add them to casserole dish
- Bring the reserved veggie broth back to a boil
- In a small bowl, combine the corn starch with ½ cup cold water and mix well
- Remove the vegetable broth from the heat and slowly whisk in small amounts of the corn starch mixture at a time
- Return the vegetable broth mixture back to the heat and let it come to a boil again
- When the vegetable broth is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, season it with the dried herb blend. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vegetable broth mixture over the lightly cooked vegetables. Only use enough of the vegetable broth mixture to coat the lightly cooked vegetables.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, follow pancake mix directions to make 4 servings total of batter.
- Pour batter over the vegetables and sauce in a uniform manor
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the casserole and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let cool slightly and serve warm.
Yield 4 to 8 Servings
Return to Main Dishes