- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground meat (minced beef, chicken, turkey or a combination)
- 1 large Florida zucchini or 2 medium Florida yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup Florida carrots, finely grated
- 1 small Florida onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup large flake oats
- 1 Florida egg, lightly beaten
- dash of Worcestershire or BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil or cooking spray
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup and sugar to use as a glaze for the top of the meatloaf. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; mixing thoroughly. The mixture should be firm enough to keep its shape. If it seems too wet, add a little more oats.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf tin, approximately 8-inches by 4-inches. You can also use any high-sided tin or oven proof bowl and form the mix into a rectangle in the center.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and spread the ketchup glaze over the top of the loaf. Place the loaf back into the oven and bake for another 10 minutes until the top is browned and the crust is slightly crispy. If you have a meat thermometer, it should read 160 degrees for beef and 165 degrees for chicken and turkey.
- Remove loaf from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meatloaf can be stored in the freezer in a storage bag wrapped with foil for up two weeks.
Yield 6 Servings
Return to Main Dishes