- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large Florida tomato, diced
- 1 medium Florida zucchini, diced
- 1 cup chopped Florida onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic or 1 teaspoon dry
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
- oil or cooking spray
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet, Dutch oven or a large wok with oil or cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add half the chicken to the skillet and brown well, about 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet when cooked. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add onions to skillet and sauté, stirring until browned. Add garlic, cumin and rice. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth, water and salsa. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring liquid to a boil and reduce heat.
- Return chicken to skillet, placing on top of rice. Cover and simmer over medium heat until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans, zucchini and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Yield 6 servings
Return to Main Dishes