- 12 medium Florida yellow squash
- 2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- pepper to taste
- Remove the neck from each squash. With a small knife or a spoon, scoop out the rounded body; set aside.
- Combine the tomato sauce and the tomato paste in a 2-quart saucepan. Combine beef and remaining ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Stuff each squash with the beef mixture without packing too tightly.
- Place stuffed squash in the sauce and add enough water to cover all the squash. Cover pan and simmer on medium-low for about 30 minutes, until rice is cooked.
Yield 4 servings
Return to Main Dishes