- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 Florida onion, chopped
- 1 Florida green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 15-ounce can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, green bell pepper, celery and garlic in hot oil until tender, about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is tender, stirring frequently.
- Add beans and cover. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until well heated, stirring frequently.
Yield 4 to 6 Servings
Return to Main Dishes