- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium Florida onion, finely chopped
- 1 Florida green or red pepper, chopped
- 2 small Florida eggplants, cubed (add 1/4 cup for baby food)
- 1 small Florida zucchini, cubed (add 1/4 cup for baby food)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped Florida tomatoes with their juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound pasta (your favorite)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- *Optional: 1 pound cooked lean ground beef or turkey
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the pepper and cook 2 minutes more. Add the eggplant and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the zucchini, garlic, bay leaf and oregano. Season lightly with salt and pepper and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until firm, about 12 minutes.
- Toss the hot pasta with the stew mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: For Baby – Before adding zucchini to steps 2 and 3 remove 1/4 cup for baby and steam until tender. Place in food grinder and puree. Freeze any extra portion in ice cube tray for use later.
Yield 4 Servings
Return to Main Dishes