- 1 pound Florida yellow squash
- 2 ears fresh Florida sweet corn (1 1/2 cup frozen)
- 3 large Florida onion
- 2 large Florida garlic cloves
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut squash crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Shuck corn and, working over a bowl, cut kernels from cobs. Halve cobs.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Wearing rubber gloves, chop pepper.
- In a 5-quart heavy kettle combine all ingredients (including shucked cobs) except water and cook over moderate heat, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Stir in water and simmer mixture until squash is very tender, about 15 minutes. Discard cobs.
- In a blender puree mixture in batches until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring batches to another bowl. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Yield 3 to 4 Servings
Return to Main Dishes