- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds of Florida broccoli and cauliflower pieces (add extra 1/4 pound for baby)
- 4 to 5 tablespoons butter or low fat substitute
- 4 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash nutmeg, optional
- 2 tablespoons fine, dry, seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook just until crisp-tender.
- Drain, reserving liquid. Add milk to the vegetable liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups.
- Place vegetables into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Blend in the flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and cauliflower. Dot with remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and paprika; sprinkle over vegetables. Bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, until casserole is bubbly.
Tip: For Baby – Cook broccoli and cauliflower as in step 1. Remove vegetables for recipe and leave vegetables cooking for baby until very tender. Drain (save water to use to thinning) and place vegetables in food grinder and puree. Add saved water to achieve smooth consistency. Freeze any extra portions in ice cube tray for use later.
Yield 4 servings
Return to Sides