- 1 cup pearled barley (makes 3-4 cups)
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 15.5 ounce can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded Florida carrots
- 1 cup chopped Florida celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook barley in gently boiling water or broth in medium saucepan with cover until tender and water has been absorbed (about 45 minutes). Let cool; rinse with cold water, drain.
- Combine cooked barley, beans, carrots and celery in large serving bowl.
- Combine oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and drizzle over barley mixture, mix well. Sprinkle cilantro over salad. Cover and chill in refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving if time allows.
Return to Sides