- 10 ounces snap beans or green beans
- 1 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 6 ounces)
- Fill a 4-quart kettle three-fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil for beans and orzo.
- Chop onion and mince garlic. Quarter and seed tomatoes. Cut quarters lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Trim beans and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in oil over moderate heat until onion is softened. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Have ready a bowl of ice and cold water.
- In boiling salted water blanch beans 1 minute. With a slotted spoon transfer beans to ice water to stop cooking. Drain beans well in a colander and pat dry. Add beans to tomato mixture and return water in kettle to a boil. Boil orzo until al dente and drain in colander. Add orzo to bean mixture with vinegar, parsley, feta, and salt and pepper to taste, tossing to combine well.
Yield 4 servings
Tip: For Baby – Set aside extra 1/2 cup beans for baby food. Wash and snap off ends of green beans. Steam until very tender. Place into food grinder and puree. Add water as necessary to achieve a smooth, thin consistency. You may wish to push the green beans through a sieve or mesh strainer to remove any remaining skins Freeze any extra portions in ice cube tray for use later.
Return to Sides