Happy Valentine’s Day! Are you celebrating with your children? Ditch the candy and cupcakes and head to your produce department for Fresh from Florida strawberries. They are currently in season (which means CHEAP and FRESH!) and are perfect to use for Valentine’s Day treats. Here is our favorite recipe for a simple and healthy strawberry snack:
- 12 Florida strawberries
- 12 4-inch lollipop sticks
- 1 cup lightly crushed whole grain cereal
- 12 paper candy cups, or use plate
- Rinse strawberries and remove leaves.
- Dip berry in yogurt, then in the cereal.
- Insert sticks into the narrow end of the strawberry. Serve immediately
Looking for ways to make Thanksgiving a little more fun for the kids? Try creating your own Florida “Veg-a-Bird” with a melon, bamboo skewers, toothpicks, and your favorite fruits, veggies and cheese. This would make a great appetizer for your Thanksgiving meal!
Fresh from Florida Veg-a-Bird
- 1 large honeydew melon or Florida cantaloupe
- 1 small Florida yellow squash
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1 medium Florida yellow pepper
- 1 medium Florida red pepper
- 1 medium Florida green pepper, cut into squares
- 1 cup Florida cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 pint Florida grape tomatoes
- 8 pieces Florida carrots, cubed and slit 3 times at one end (This step should be completed by an adult or left out entirely)
- 2 whole cranberries
- Bamboo skewers
- To keep the melon from rolling, cut a shallow slice off the rind to form a flat base.
- Attach the squash, large portion pointing up, to the melon with part of a bamboo skewer.
- Cut a square of green pepper in diagonally in half, forming two triangles. Cut a thin slice of red pepper for the wattle. Attach both using a toothpick to the squash.
- Attach two cranberries, one for each eye, using toothpicks.
- Cut red pepper into six strips for the feet and set into place.
- Alternate tomatoes, cheese, green pepper and cucumber on skewers to use as tail feathers. Top 8 pieces with slit carrots cubes. Insert skewers into the back of the melon.
- Slice 4 red pepper pieces and 5 yellow pepper pieces into ½-inch slices to use as side feathers. Stick the pepper slices in place with toothpicks.